USA Study Permit

Home / Study Abroad / Country

USA Study Permit

In the America, there are three types of student visas like; F, J, and M. If you apply for any of these visas, you need first to apply and get accepted by a U.S. Institute that is authorized by the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP). The most popular one visa is F-1 student visa.

Following necessary steps to apply for a U.S. student visa:

  1. Apply to SEVP-approved schools: First, you must have acceptance of a U.S. institute granted by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program at least half a year month before planning to study in the U.S.
  2. Receive I-20 or DS-160 form: Once accepted, you will receive either an I-20 or DS-160 form from the SEVP-certified institution. This form is necessary for your U.S. student visa application.
  3. SEVIS Fee: Pay the SEVIS fee at least three days before submitting your U.S. visa application. You can pay online or use the paper form. Visit the U.S. Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) SEVP's official website for more information.
  4. Schedule visa appointment: After obtaining the SEVIS form and paying the fee, schedule a U.S. student visa appointment at your local consulate or embassy.
  5. MRV Fee: Pay the MRV (Machine Readable Visa) fee.
  6. Visa Interview: Finally, schedule a U.S. student visa interview. Check the embassy website beforehand to know the required documents for the interview.

In all cases, complete the DS-160 Visa application form online, selecting your preferred application location and ensuring you have all the necessary documents for the application.

What documents are required to process an application for a USA F1 visa?

F-1 Visa Document Requirements

  1. Personal Information
    • Passport Size Photograph (as per regulations mentioned)
    • Passport
    • Fee Receipt of MRV
    • Appointment Letter of Visa Interview
    • Confirmation Slip of DS 160 (with the bar code visible)
    • SEVIS Fee Receipt
  2. Academics Documents
    • Transcripts of previous education (10th and 12th Certificates)
    • SAT scorecard for undergrad admissions
    • GRE or GMAT for graduate courses
    • PTE, IELTS, or TOEFL scorecards
    • (Different universities in the USA have different IELTS score requirements. Many universities accept a band score between 6 and 6.5. But to get into the best American universities, you should aim for a higher score, at least between 7 and 7.5.)
    • Bachelor's/Provisional Degree Certificate or any additional course completion certificate or all the year's certificates and mark sheets as well as the consolidated mark sheet (if applicable)
  3. Work Related Documents (If Any)
    • Joining Letter
    • Salary Slips (last six months)
    • Relieving Letter
  4. Financial Documents
    • Loan Approval Letter (if applicable)
    • Saving Bank Account Statement (recommended: last three years)
    • Fixed Deposit Certificates (recommended: previous three years)
    • Tax Returns for the past three years
    • Property Documents (residential, commercial, ancestral, and farmland)

Studying in the USA without IELTS - How is it possible?

Studying in the USA without taking the IELTS exam is possible, and here's how:

Education Confirmation:

If your previous university provides a letter stating that you studied in English; it can be accepted instead of an IELTS score.

High School English:

Having English as a core subject in high school can exempt you from the IELTS requirement.

Country Language:

If the official language of your last educational institution was English, you might not need to take the IELTS.

University Preparatory Courses:

Some universities may offer preparatory courses, like IELP (Intensive English Language Program), which could replace the need for IELTS.

How to apply without IELTS:

Choose a University:

Select a university and check their admission criteria.

Online Application:

Apply directly online to the chosen university.


After submitting all required documents, you might be called for a personal interview.

Acceptance Letter:

Once accepted, pay the initial tuition fees with the acceptance letter.

Visa Application:

Apply for a study permit. Applying for a USA study permit without IELTS is possible if you have good grades and meet other requirements.

Best Universities for Studying Without IELTS:

Name of the Institutions
Alternative Examination
University of Delaware English Language for International or ELIPTE or Duolingo
University of Arkansas PTE, Duolingo or iTEP along with Cambridge Assessment English
National Louis University PTE
University of North Alabama TOEIC
California State University
Northwood University
Cambridge English Test, IB, ELS or PTE Academic
University of New Orleans (UNO) English Language for International or ELI
Rice University Duolingo
University of Colorado Boulder Duolingo PTE, Cambridge English Scale, or the Duolingo

Is studying in the USA without taking the IELTS exam possible?

The USA, with an IELTS study permit process, is simple. The student visa procedure is possible if you have previously studied English or possess an International Bachelor's qualification. However, if you do not meet these criteria or hail from an English-speaking nation, you will have to face several questions during your visa interview. The following documents are needed to be submitted on your part:

  • DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Valid Passport copy.
  • Recent photograph (passport-sized).
  • Proof of funds.
  • I-20 Form.
  • SEVIS application payment receipt.
  • Accommodation proof.
  • Confirmation and acceptance letter from the university.
  • Resume or CV.
  • Healthcare coverage.
  • Official academic transcripts.

What documents are required to process an application for a USA F1 visa without IELTS?

Suppose you want to go to universities in the USA without taking the IELTS test. In that case, there are many choices: the University of New Orleans, the University of Colorado, the State University of New York, California State University, the University of Arkansas, and more. If you finished high school or have a bachelor's degree in English, you don't need to take a language test to study at these universities. Also, if you did a program in the USA for at least a year or joined some Intensive English Learning Programs like IELP, you can get into a university in the USA without IELTS.

Once you enter a university in the USA, you must apply for a student visa to move to the country. If International students have an international baccalaureate degree or have studied English before, they can apply for a USA study permit without IELTS. But if you don't meet these conditions, you might have to undergo a visa interview, especially if you are attending a highly-ranked university. Here are the documents you need to study in the USA without IELTS:

  • Form I-20
  • Payment of Application fees for SEVIS
  • Confirmation page of DS-160
  • Valid passport
  • Recent passport-size photograph
  • Letter of Acceptance from the university
  • CV/ Resume
  • Academic Transcripts
  • Proof of Accommodation
  • Proof of Monetary Funds
  • Healthcare cover

Top Scholarships to Study in the USA for International Students

Scholarship Name Who is Eligible? Benefits/Amount
Fulbright Foreign Student Program International Students for Graduate programs. Includes travel, housing costs, health insurance, and tuition costs.
United World Colleges International Youth Scholarships International students are pursuing a bachelor's degree in the USA. A full or partial fee waiver depends on the funds available.
Rotary Peace Fellowships Students abroad are enrolled in a certificate or master's program in peace and conflict resolution. Includes all costs associated with fees, housing, transportation, and internship and field study expenses.
PEO International Peace Scholarship For Women Female enrolling in graduate programs. $10,000 -$15,000
Clark Global Scholarship Program A full or partial fee waiver depends on the funds available. $15,000-$25,000
Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarships Those Enrolled in Undergraduate and Graduate Programs $15,000-$25,000
General Scholarships Awarded Individual institutions may give fully-funded scholarships for both graduate and undergraduate study. These scholarships are available from most universities, including Stanford, Yale, and Harvard. Varies depending on the university

Top Scholarships to Study in USA without IELTS for International Students

Scholarships in the USA without IELTS cover all degrees and majors; some are open for exchange program students. Various scholarships are available that don't require IELTS scores or any alternative language proficiency test. Here are some examples:

  1. Fulbright Foreign Student Program:
    • Fully funded by the U.S. government.
    • Available for graduates, professionals, and artists.
    • About 4000 students receive this scholarship annually to study in the USA without IELTS.
  2. Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program:

    Government-funded program for students with a demonstrated interest in becoming future leaders and positively impacting the world.

  3. Tortuga Study Abroad Scholarships:
    • For international students seeking admission to a U.S. university for an undergraduate program.
    • No IELTS score is required.
    • It is designed for students who have a passion for traveling.
  4. Clark Merit Scholarships:
    • Available for international students with a solid academic background in their first year of an undergraduate program.
    • No IELTS score is required.
  5. The NextGen Scholarships:
    • Initiated for international students by entrepreneur Andrena Sawyer.
    • While an IELTS score is not mandatory, a 3.0 GPA is required.
    • The scholarship has a value of $1,000.
  6. Rotary Peace Scholarships:
    • For international students committed to promoting global peace.
    • IELTS score is not required.
  7. American University Emerging Leaders Scholarship:
    • It was introduced to students with a keen understanding of global trends, leadership qualities, and a history of academic excellence.
  8. Michigan State University Scholarships with IELTS Exemption:
    • Awarded to students at all degree levels.
    • No IELTS score is required.
    • Scholarships are granted based on admission criteria and student needs.

What is the Cost of Education and Living Expenses in the USA for International Students?

The cost of studying in the USA can rely on factors such as the choice of institution, program, location, and living expenses. Here are some general estimates:

Tuition Fee for International Students in the USA:

The University and the program you select and enroll in will determine the tuition cost in the USA. Your expenses are notably decreased if you enroll in public colleges in the USA. In contrast, private universities in the USA have higher tuition costs than public universities.

  • Tuition Fee in Public Universities:

    The following table gives you a range of the cost to study in Public U.S. Universities as per the degree you choose:

    Course Level Average Annual Tuition Fee
    Bachelor in US 8,000 - 35,000 USD /Year
    Masters in US 10,000 - 35,000 USD /Year
  • Tuition Fee in Private Universities:

    The following table gives you a range of the costs to study in Private US Universities as per the degree you choose:

    Course Level Average Annual Tuition Fee
    Bachelor in US 25,000 - 50,000 USD /Year
    Masters in US 22,000 - 55,000 USD /Year

Living and Travel Expenses:

The estimated annual living expenses, including accommodation, food, transportation, and other personal costs, can range from U.S. $10,000 to U.S. $20,000 per year, which averages around U.S. $1000 to U.S. $1500 per month—the cost of living for Students in the USA based on the cities or region.

Expenses Average Cost (INR)
Apartment housing, including utilities INR 14,30,000 /year
Food INR 5,40,377 /year
Hostels INR 6,30,000 - INR 10,00,000 /year
Food for Hostellers INR 2,06,756 /year
Books and supplies INR 75,000 /year
Health Insurance:

International students have health insurance, which can cost around U.S. $500 to U.S. $1,500 per year.

Incidental charges:

Textbooks, supplies, visa fees, and other unexpected expenses can vary, but you should budget an additional US$ 1,000 to US$3,000 per year.

SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Fee:

It plays a crucial role in studying in the USA. SEVIS fees amount to $350 for F and M visa applicants and $220 for J visa applicants. This fee contributes to the maintenance of the SEVIS system.

U.S. study permit Cost - Application Fee:

Securing a student visa is pivotal for international students. The U.S. student visa (F or M) application fee is $160. It's important to note that this fee is not returnable, regardless of whether the visa is approved or denied.

Application Fee - Cost of Education in USA:

Applying to universities often incurs application fees. The average application fee for U.S. universities ranges from $50 to $100 per application. Students need to consider this cost when applying to multiple institutions.

Post-Arrival Cost of Education in the USA:

Various expenses arise in the USA after arrival. The post-arrival costs include tuition fees and the day-to-day cost of living. Tuition fees are typically paid at the beginning of each semester. The average cost to study in the USA is INR 37,40,000/year. Moreover, students should budget for living expenses based on their chosen city and lifestyle, which ranges between INR 8,30,000 and INR 16,60,000/year.

In short, the total cost of studying in the USA can range from approximately U.S. $20,000 to U.S. $60,000 per year. Researching and considering the specific costs associated with your desired institution and location is essential. Additionally, scholarships, grants, and financial aid may help reduce the overall cost.

Study Loan for Higher Education in the USA?

If you are planning to study in the USA and require financial assistance, one option is to apply for an education loan. Here's some information about education loans for learning in the USA.

Types of Education Loans:

Private Student Loans:

Private Banks, credit unions, and other financial institutes offer these loans. Personal loans usually have higher interest rates, and its eligibility depends upon credit history and income. You may need a co-signer, mainly if you are an international student.

Federal Student Loans:

The American Department of Education offered Federal Student Loans, particularly with lower interest rates and approved repayment terms. Free Application for Federal Student Aid is a must to apply for federal student loans.


  • Gather Details:

    Research various loan options, their terms, interest rates, repayment options, and eligibility criteria. Check if your institution offers any scholarships or financial aid opportunities.

  • Forecast Loan Amount:

    Calculate the cost of tuition, living expenses, and other educational expenses to determine the loan amount you need.

  • Choose a Financier:

    Compare different loan companies and select one with suitable loan terms and conditions.

  • Collect Required Documentation:

    Typically, you must provide documents such as proof of enrollment, financial statements, passport, visa, and co-signer information (if applicable).

  • Apply for the Loan:

    Complete the loan application form and submit the documentation to the lender.

  • Loan Approval and Disbursement:

    The lender will evaluate your application, creditworthiness, and eligibility. You will receive the loan amount through disbursements directly to your educational institution if approved.

Required documents for Education loan to Study in USA:

Financial institutes make sure earlier, if you are a capable student who can pay back the loan amount. Here are some necessary documents:

  • Proof of Admission (Offer Letter from U.S. University)
  • Expected cost of study (according to I-20 Form)
  • Loan Application Form
  • Authentic Educational certificates (Mark-sheets / DMC)
  • IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT Scorecard
  • Valid residential proof of student
  • Id Proofs (Adhar card, PAN Card)
  • Passport
  • Details of assets and liabilities of the parents/ Guarantee

You have to read thoroughly all the terms and conditions of the loan before signing any agreement. Confirm you understand the interest rates, repayment terms, grace periods, and associated fees. It is recommended to research and compare different loan options, consult with financial aid offices at your educational institution, and seek guidance from a financial advisor to make informed decisions regarding education loans for studying in the USA.

What kind of on-campus and off-campus jobs do Indians do in U.S. universities, and how much pay do they get in on-campus & off-campus jobs? Is it legal for an Indian on a student visa to do off-campus employment? What are some of the top part-time jobs in the USA for Indians?

The part-time job salary for international students in the USA is 7.5 USD per hour, up to 20 USD per hour. International students studying in the USA can work part-time on campus. Here are some part-time job opportunities for international students in the USA:

On-Campus Jobs:

Students in F-1 and J-1 status must be full-time and may work on-campus for up to 20 hours or in the "practical training." Universities and colleges often have various on-campus job opportunities for students. These may include positions in libraries, computer labs, administrative offices, research labs, and food service areas. Check your institution's career center or student employment office for available positions.

  • Teaching or Research Assistantships:

    Some graduate students may be able to work as teaching or research assistants within their department. These positions often provide a stipend and valuable experience in their field.

  • Tutoring:

    If you excel in specific subjects, consider becoming a tutor. Many institutions have tutoring centers where students can seek academic support.

  • Internships:

    Look for internships related to your field of study. Some companies and organizations offer part-time internships during the academic year, allowing you to gain practical work experience.

These jobs generally pay a minimum or a little higher, depending on the university and the specific role.

Off-Campus Jobs:

Off-campus jobs for, Indian students in the U.S. on a student visa are generally only allowed to work off-campus under certain circumstances, such as through Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) programs. These programs allow students to work off-campus in their field of study for a certain period after completing a specific academic requirement. International students need to consult with their designated official school or an immigration advisor to ensure that they respect with visa regulations. The pay for off-campus jobs can vary widely depending on the industry, location, and the specific position. Before pursuing such opportunities, students must research and understand off-campus work's legal and financial implications.

  • Hospitality and Retail:

    Various restaurants, coffee shops, retail stores, and hotels hire part-time employees. These jobs may include servers, baristas, cashiers, or hotel staff positions.

  • Online Freelancing or Remote Work:

    Consider freelance work opportunities that allow you to work from anywhere. These may include graphic design, content writing, virtual assistance, or language

  • Work-Study Programs:

    If you describe financial need, you may be eligible for work-study programs.

Remember that as an international student, there may be specific rules and regulations regarding employment. Ensure you know any limitations and obtain the necessary work authorization or work visa if required.

You can also contact your institution's international student office or career center for guidance on part-time job opportunities and any specific regulations that apply to your situation.

Challenges Faced by International Students in the USA

Job search goes differently than you plan. Successful searches require preparation for U.S. employers' cultural expectations and addressing potential concerns.


Finding the right words to express yourself professionally in a language that is not your first language can be difficult. Take advantage of all your campus resources (Career Services Network, English Language Center, OISS programs) to practice your English and the vocabulary you need to make a positive impression on an employer in the U.S.

Hiring Complexities:

When your student work eligibility expires to continue working in the U.S., your employer must sponsor you for a 'change of status' to a work visa. The transition to another visa status requires careful planning well in advance of the expiration of your current immigration status. Not all employers have an immigration department. Therefore, you must be aware of the time it will take to change your status and be proactive in ensuring your employer is aware. Because of this and the costs of changing an employee's immigration status, some employers hesitate to hire international students. This is why you must be prepared to describe what you can bring to the organization and the benefits of hiring a non-U.S. citizen.


Some employers fear international employees will return to their home country soon after the employer has invested time, money, and training resources and possibly sponsored them for a work visa. It is essential to show the employer your loyalty to the company and how you are an asset to its overseas operations.

The feeling of Strong Dislike:

Some Americans feel employers are taking jobs away from U.S. citizens by hiring international students. Due to the current economy, this sentiment may be more pronounced right now. You should demonstrate how your skills and knowledge will benefit the company. Suppose you are pursuing a degree in any science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) field. In that case, you should also arm yourself with statistics showing that international students are the majority of graduates in many fields.


International students often limit their job search to the east or west coasts (California, Seattle, Boston, New York, Washington D.C., etc.). The competition for these jobs thus becomes very intense. Be open to all locations, especially Southeast Michigan. Michigan is the first state to create a program to recruit international students to live and work in Detroit. The Global Talent Retention Initiative of Southeast Michigan (GTRI) is being developed to connect Motor City employers with international students seeking internships and full-time employment during their practical training.


Our Branches